Monday, March 5, 2012

Snow days, snow dogs


This is Tessa, a former foster,
posing with a snow dog made by her mom.
Monday, 9:00 a.m.:  We've had only our second snowfall of the winter.  I should say "we are having" because as I'm writing this it is still falling.  This one was a bit of a surprise because although the possibility of snow had been mentioned, they didn't hype it as a "snow storm" as they would have if actual accumulation had been anticipated.  We've got about 3" so far and it's supposed to end soon so there won't be too much more.  It should all be gone tomorrow, but it is another pretty snow and I'm stocked up on straw, dog food, and really everything we need to survive 4 hours indoors followed by another muddy afternoon.
Zachary and Cabell

I brought Augi inside after breakfast because he was limping when he came out of the shed this morning, telling me there must have been an altercation after I put him to bed last night.  No wounds, no broken skin, but he looks sore and sad so he's inside. 

Spartan discovered a way out of our big kennel yesterday, twice, so he spent the night indoors, but is back out there today after I have secured and re-secured the gate against his egress.  He's a bit of a wanderer.  He doesn't run off and he comes right to me when I call, but he clearly prefers being free.  He'd make a good farm dog.  He was inside long enough for me to conclude that the smelly skin condition still isn't entirely cleared up, however.  Today I added an antihistamine to his food and pills.  I don't think the special diet has had any effect.




Trooper, Zachary, and Cabell
Ready to come in, they were
joined by Bremo moments later

Our guys did a quick romp in the snow but they are mostly older and aren't as excited by snow as they once were.  Neither am I.

2:00 p.m.:  The snow stopped, but not before piling up about 5" of very wet snow.  The sun comes out and melting happens so fast it sounds like rain falling on the metal roof of our front porch.  I put on a crockpot full of venison chili, but need onions and peppers so I run to Thomas', the very local grocery store.  On the way back crossing the bridge, I notice how high the water is in the Rivanna and get an idea.

4:00 p.m.:  The internet has slowed to a crawl so I give up on work, put the canoe on the car and get Clay to drive me to Rt. 600 bridge where I put in.  There is no wind, thankfully, so it's not cold, but it is still and silent on the river.  The only wildlife I encounter are ducks and geese.  What I see that I've never seen before are a number of houses along the river, much closer than I would have guessed and visible now only because the trees are bare.  No one else is on the river, no surprise, I have it to myself.  The water is flowing pretty well and is high enough that the usual obstacles, rocks and logs, are submerged, although they create varying degrees of turbulence on the water's surface.  I would have made pretty good time just floating, but I paddle for the exercise, for the warmth, and because I want to get to the bridge in Palmyra before dark.  I made it but not with too much daylight to spare. 





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome photos of all -- especially the canoe ones -- love canoing been too long-- bet it was truly awesome :)

BudsBuddy said...

Nice post and photos, thanks for sharing.

Ann Mellen said...

Always enjoy your posts and photos and today's were no exception. Great shots of the river/snow on crocus. Laughed out loud at action shot of Lana and the dogs posturing at the door to get in. Fantastic!

Ann Mellen said...

Oops--not a crocus (not even close) but beautiful just the same.