Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Maggie's Day, 2012

This is the day we started down the rescue road, back in 2001.  It's the day we took in our first foster dog, Maggie. 

This past christmas is the first year that we didn't receive a card from Maggie's new home, and I suspect the reason is because Maggie is no longer with us.  I lost one of my own lately and I've heard from a few former fosters who may be in their last days.  That's mostly a function of how long we've been at this and the number of dogs we've placed.  I can't say "happy," but I'm always gratified in a way to hear that a former foster has passed on after a good life in a new home, for however long it was.  Often people need to share their grief with others to unburden a bit of it from themselves.  I can understand that and I'm honored to be included in any part of a dog's life, even the end. 

I've got a lot going on this weekend but probably won't have time to write much until Sunday night or Monday, but I can't let St. Patrick's/Maggie's day go without marking the occasion.  Here's a link to the post I wrote about Maggie last year:  http://vadogrescue.blogspot.com/2011/03/st-maggies-day.html.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy St. Maggies Day to you and Clay and all the critters. You have done more good than most people. Dog Bless You All.

Cathy L in Batesville said...

Ironically St Patrick's Day is the day I lost my Maggie. I indirectly started my rescue work as a result. She inexplicably escaped from inside my zipped ski jacket at the door to the vet (I'd loaned my carrier). I remember wondering why the guy at Kinkos had such an odd green tie on as I made hundreds of lost cat flyers. I met rescue people who helped me try to trap her when she was spotted. I eventually adopted another cat from one of them. Then a dog and a cat (trying to compensate). My dog, Molly, lead me to my first foster. Many followed. I believe that Maggie went on to have a happy life and that I had to lose her in order to get started in rescue and help so many more.

Jen said...

Brent, The thought of Maggie
... and that time in your life and mine has brought me a tear or two. Think of you often... Jen