Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Spay day and another birthday

Today was spay day for Dixie and Lana.   I took them in this morning.  Several people remarked on how pretty Dixie is. 

When I picked them up at the end of the day, several people remarked on how sweet Lana is. 

Both girls were good and came through it without problems.  Lana was still quite groggy, Dixie was content to crash in the crate but her ears were up and she was ready to go.  If she metabolizes drugs the way she does food they may have been to give her more half way through the surgery. 

Both girls are in my office tonight and will be for a few days.  They will get pain meds starting tomorrow and I think I'll worm them too because they couldn't get a stool sample from Lana when we were at the vet yesterday.  I'm talking to someone about Dixie and hope to meet them this weekend.  She's a nice girl and they have a boy shepherd for her to boss around.



I don't always see messages left for me on Facebook other than postings on my wall.  I have started to make a point of checking them more often and had one today from the adopter of my former foster, Harlan.  The pic on the left is Harlan when I had him, which apparently has been six(!) years ago now.

My apologies to those readers who have adopted shepherds from me, but Harlan is, in my opinion, the best looking German Shepherd Dog I have ever seen.  Not just "ever had as a foster," I mean the best looking shepherd I have ever seen.  The AKC would probably disagree, but I don't have any use for that group of breeders anyway.   Harlan (now Barth) is everything I like in a shepherd.  He's got a big head, long and broad nose, and that gorgeous red and black coat.  He's got a great home and I'm not sorry that I didn't keep him, but I sure do like to see him from time to time. 

He's also a sweet boy, loves his toys, and when he's not curled up he still likes to stretch out on his back and sleep with all four legs in the air. 

He's nine years old now and six years in his new home.  He looks good with just a touch of gray.  The dog I thought was coming today has been pushed off to next week, which is fine.  With two post-surgery here in the office, I have enough to keep me busy right now.   

1 comment:

Lindsay Jo said...

I love that picture of Harlan sleeping on the couch! Happy dog!