Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The hoarder shepherds


Big Boy

Big Boy, a young male, very friendly and outgoing. 
Don't be fooled by the picture, he does have all his legs.


The last blog post already has over 300 hits, so I know a lot of folks are looking for more news and info.  I don't have a lot, but I do have two more dogs as of this morning.  I've pulled 4 of the surrendered adults now.  There were 3 puppies that someone else has taken.  There are two more surrendered adults still at the shelter, but I'm waiting to see what they are like.  One is said to be 8 years old and that's going to be tough adoption.  Another is the extremely shy and fearful one that I'm reluctant to take just yet.  And of course there are the others that were seized and will have to be held pending a court decision on their future.  I'm not sure, but I think there are a dozen seized dogs there as well.
 
Irene is a very pretty young female.
She really likes the igloo.

Irene finishing a dose of panacure mixed with canned dog food.
 "There" is the Fluvanna County shelter.  I can't say enough good things about the director and staff.  They really mobilized, got many of their current dogs out to foster homes (I have two), and were are prepared as it is possible to be when the dogs began arriving.  They were there until after midnight last night and were back early this morning. They are on top of the paperwork and the medical stuff.  And even importantly, they care.  I saw one staff member get down and hug Romeo today as we were leaving.  That is something I won't do yet because of how these dogs smell.  They will be starting to bathe them all later today.  Again, that is something I'm not yet ready to do.  As much as the dogs need it, I want to get them to trust me a bit before I take a cold water hose to them.



Maggie Mae, about 7 years old.
She is dealing with an ear infection.

Maggie Mae is a very sweet girl.



What would probably help them the most, and me too for that matter, is to get our "other" dogs adopted or fostered, to make more room.  Along those lines, I've had email from the young man who took home Shadow yesterday evening.  He's fitting in well, having a great time playing ball, and loves to ride in his Jeep (I've always wanted a Jeep so now I'm jealous of the dog).  This is the life Shadow deserves to have.  


Romeo is a lover.  About a year old.

Romeo sitting down for a long drink. 
Apparently water was in short supply where they came from.

I'm calling these dogs, collectively, the hoarder shepherds.  Their names are Big Boy, Irene, Maggie Mae, and Romeo.  I've put a few comments in the captions of the photos.  I don't have any idea who lived with who in the hell hole they came from.  I've done male/female pairings, assuming that is usually safest.  They didn't really seem to know each other before coming here but they are getting along fine.  It may be that they are so glad to be out of there and that they don't care about anything else.

Romeo.  I'd love to tell you that he's a young boy who had just had a great time playing in the mud, but that's shit, not mud.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for taking them!!!!

Anonymous said...

Despite the shit, they are beautiful dogs. Thanks to Fluvanna SPCA and you for helping them.

BudsBuddy said...

I would also be willing to help you bathe the dogs over the weekend, if that's not too soon for them. I'm willing to handle both the dogs and the stench.
Laura

Anonymous said...

You are incredible. So many dogs are lucky to have you!

Unknown said...

I would love to take one of these great dogs, can you send one to S. Fl.?

Anonymous said...

I would love to give one of these beautiful dogs a home with me in S.Fl.

BudsBuddy said...

Going back to a previous post, I guess this could really be called "a shitload of shepherds!"

Lindsay said...

The dog sitting down to take a long drink of water nearly made me cry. I hope these people will be fully prosecuted. I can only imagine how grateful the Fluvanna spca is to have you to take so many dogs (both shepherds and non-GSDs).

Anonymous said...

You are truly an angel for saving these beautiful dogs, you will be rewarded one day. I wish I could help but not in a position to do so. I will pray for a happy ending for all of these beautiful animals.

Ashley M. said...

These poor dogs! I'd love to know more about possibley adopting one of these dogs if/when the information is available. I'm aproved through VGSR and have been waiting for just the right dog. I'd love to be able to help one of these lovely animals out!

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to these poor animals! They look so sweet but so neglected. These people will have their own place in hell and I hope they suffer as much as these animals did. Thanks for looking out for them. There is a special place in heaven for the rescuers.

Anonymous said...

Romeo breaks my heart. They all do. Thank you for what you have done for them and all dogs that cross your path. I am addicted to your blog.

ResQDogZ said...

WIll be watching with keen interest, and may be interested in providing a "forever home" for some of these precious souls....

Bless you, Brent!