Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Maggie's Day dogs

Yesterday was St. Maggie's Day as you know.  Clay and I celebrated with a few beers both before and after we saw an incredible new production of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein." It was performed live at the National Theatre in London last night and broadcast with a few hours' delay to the Paramount Theatre in Charlottesville (and elsewhere around the world).  The National has been doing this with a number of their productions for the past couple years.  We have seen 3 or 4 of them this year.  World-class theatre in our own backyard, Charlottesville; I'm not sure why the place hasn't been packed.  Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard, June 30th, is the next one and the last for the season.  But I digress. 

Earlier in the day I went to the Fluvanna SPCA, met with the director of the shelter and helped her review the applications that have been submitted for the dogs that are still there.  There were some worth looking at, but unfortunately there were not apps for all of the dogs.  It may all be for naught anyway, because it appears that the whoarder may be planning to appeal.  Today is apparently the deadline for that. Her criminal proceeding (44 counts of cruelty and neglect charges), begins next week. 


I also pulled two more dogs from the shelter in order to give them more space and fewer dogs.  I gave them Irish names in honor of St. Maggie and the beginning of her new life 10 years ago on that day. 

Dugan is a small boxer boy, fawn and white, about 2 years old.  He seems very nice.  Seamus may be a golden retriever/lab mix.  He has a stout, solid body like a lab, and a very lab-like tail for sure.  But he also has a somewhat longer and softer coat more like a golden.  I don't know for sure, of course, but he's a great looking dog.

Both Seamus and Dugan are intact and Maggie Mae is in heat, so I've had to separate everyone for the sake of peace and population.  Maggie Mae will be spayed next week and I'll try to get appointments for both the boys today to be neutered as soon as possible.
 

I had a call yesterday from someone seeking Virginia German Shepherd Rescue.  I don't know where this woman got my number, but I told her that I do work with VGSR.  She proceeded to ask if we ever adopt out unneutered males because she had a female she was looking to breed. 

That's about as far as she got because my rage took over at that point.  I could have been nice and tried to educate her about the need to spay/neuter and dispell whatever myth made this woman believe that she needed to breed her dog.  But damnit, I had just come from a shelter full of dogs.  The caller was an adult who had no excuse for being so ignorant, so I let her have it.  I really need to make some notes and start with my most vile invective because she hung up before I got very far.

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

Both of the new boys look very handsome and are popular breeds, so hope they will find good homes soon. As for the lady looking for an intact GSD, maybe your response will make her think twice about making any further calls on that idea.

Unknown said...

I agree with BudsBuddy.
Thank you, Brent, for taking 2 more fosters.