Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Barth

A really nice surprise in this morning's email was a note from Barth's owner telling me that today is his 5th birthday in his new home.  This dog was named Harlan when I had him, and I still have this picture of him on the wall next to my desk because I think he is the best looking German Shepherd I have ever seen.  I'm a sucker for any dog with a big head and he's got a great one.  He also has the most beautiful red and black fur I've ever seen on a shepherd. 

Our Bremo wasn't too fond of him or we would probably have adopted him.  It's probably best that we adopted him out however. He certainly had plenty of prospects and he landed in a really great home.

I'm often rather skeptical about young, single, straight guys who want to adopt a dog.  Let's face it, they aren't always using their big head to think with and few of them could be referred to as "stable."  This young man was an exception and I'm proud to say that I recognized that when I met him.  I've made many mistakes in all phases of the rescue and adoption process, but this was not one of them.


Not only has he provided a wonderful home for Harlan, now Barth, he has also gotten involved with a rescue group where he now lives. The dog sharing the bed with Barth is one of his fosters, adopted just last week.  Apparently Barth rather misses this one. Unfortunately, there is always another ready to take an open space in a foster home.  I'm sure that Barth is a great one to help a new foster adjust and settle in.  He's been through it himself and can re-assure a new dog that he's in a good place and everything will be ok, regardless of what may have happened in the dog's past.

Many of my own dogs do the same.  I think of them as a very important part of the rescue and foster process.  They speak the language, help the new dog fall in line with the routine of the new household, and provide that reassurance that so many fosters desperately need.

Barth is certainly a success story.  I don't remember his past and he may not either.  All that matters is that he's got a great home now.  I don't know if dogs have the level of cognition necessary to worry about the future.  That's our job.  While none of us can guarantee anyone a great future, he's in a home with a good and caring owner. That's my goal for all of them that pass our way.   

2 comments:

Lynette L said...

its nice to hear some good news today. I wish I would hear from my past adopters more. Maybe no news is good news!

BudsBuddy said...

A nice day for you to get a positive note about a beautiful shepherd.