Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lucky 7?

This is Lilly.  She is the 5th of the hoarder dogs I pulled from the shelter.  She came on Friday afternoon.  They had given her a bath yesterday so she looks and smells better than the rest.  One of her ears is tipped, probably an injury when she was young.  She has white tips on her feet that make me question her genetic make up, but the face is all shepherd and she's a pretty girl.  Lilly is 5 years old.  She's quiet so far, which I appreciate.  She's bunked in the kennel next to Sparky, which has been vacant all winter. 

She's the 7th new dog here this week and we've reach maximum capacity, both physically and psychologically.  It's been a little stressful this week, both work and dogs, so I'm taking the weekend off from dog stuff, as much as possible anyway. 


The little black dog, left, is Dickens.  The houndy guy on the right is Ryland, or Rye.  They are Fluvanna SPCA fosters, the first two of the lucky 7 that I pulled this week to make room for the incoming shepherds at the shelter.  When I was back at the SPCA on Friday I had to ask Dickens' name because I had taken him without knowing much about him except that he was good with other dogs.  Ry is a sweet boy, a nice mix of several things, I'm sure.  I'm a sucker for the hound face and floppy ears and this one doesn't do the hound hoot so I really like him.  I'm just fostering them and they will go back to the shelter when there is room, unless I find them a home before then. They are nice guys, sharing a kennel with no problems except a little growling at feeding time. 

I still need to do baths for the new shepherds and then start with the vet appointments next week.  I think that Lilly and maybe Maggie Mae are spayed at least. 

1 comment:

Christine said...

White feet are not that unusual (a fault, and not super common, but not rare), so she could be purebred GSD.