Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sunshine

Although the day started off rather cool, damp, and dreary, the Big Dog caused the sun to shine in my little corner of the dog world today.  Both Romeo (left) and Lilly (right) went home with prospective adopters early this morning.  Flirt is still in her new home, hopefully making friends with the other Dane.  And Rita is in Virginia Beach tonight, in the home of former adopters who came to Williamsburg to meet us today.  Big Boy is in a temporary foster home and is moving to another foster home tomorrow.  Irene should be moving to another foster home tomorrow too.  I finally finished my work week about 8:00 p.m. this evening, and I'm having a beer. 

Any or all of these dogs could be back tomorrow, but I'm now in a better position to take in the remaining dozen shepherds from the Fluvanna SPCA when/if they become available for release.

The adoption event in Williamsburg was nice.  It was a perfect opportunity to meet the folks from Virginia Beach.  They had adopted Beau (left)  from me back in 2007, I believe.  They gave each other several great years and they gave him the best of care up to the end, which happened a few weeks ago.  Their house was empty without him, of course, but Rita (right) will liven things up again.  She was her whiny, neurotic self when we arrived, but they walked her, spent some time with her, and she settled down enough to show them that she was a good dog who really wanted and needed a home.  She is quick to bond and left with them without worrying a bit about me.  They aren't expecting perfection, but I hope she settles in quickly enough to show them her potential. 

I took Jeremy and Sunny along as well, and they were good.  I also took Irene, after we dumped her out of her dog house and finally managed to get a leash on her this morning.  She wasn't keen on going, but she rode well and once we arrived she developed an instant bond with me, since I was the only familiar person.  By the time we left she was beginning to come around a bit.  She interacted well with the other dogs and would allow people to pet her, but she preferred to hide behind me if possible. 

Still, for a first outing, any place, ever, I think she did very well. 

We had a good crowd of volunteers, many of whom I met face to face for the first time.  I also got to see Maya, one of my former fosters, shown in this group photo as the only one lying down. 

Tomorrow, Gainesville.

1 comment:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

This is such encouraging news! You are one of the best people I know. Thank you, Brent. Good luck on Sunday. Loved the picture of the group from Saturday.