Saturday, March 12, 2011

Flirty Friday


Friday afternoon I had an appointment for Rita to have the stitches removed from her dew claw removal surgery and to recheck her eye.  The eye was improved but still not entirely cleared up.  Rita is very sweet and is great indoors.  She sticks around really well even off leash.  I just wish she wasn't quite so vocal when she is excited or anxious. 

I took Irene along too, to piggyback onto Rita's appointment.  Irene is the fifth and final of the hoarder shepherds that I took in last week.  There will be more, but she's the last of the first group.  Irene was already spayed, which is nice.  Like the other two females, she also had a nasty ear infection, which isn't so nice.  The unsanitary living conditions seem to have resulted in a variety of ear crud.  All three girls had nasty ears, but they all three have different medicines to treat them. 

Irene's ears were full of puss, and when that was cleaned out the vet discovered a nasty looking red mass in one of them.  She wasn't sure what it is.  We will proceed with the treatment for the infection and see if it goes away. 

After the vet appointment (I didn't have time before), we went to the dog wash and gave Irene a bath.  She was pretty good about it and I was able to handle it alone. 

Earlier in the day I had taken Flirt to meet a friend who has small dogs.  Flirt has, or had, a prospective adopter lined up to meet her on Sunday in Gainesville.  However, that adoption would involve Flirt living with two small dogs and I had doubts about that based on how I've seen her react to small dogs that she has seen at adoption events.  Today's test showed some pretty strong prey drive towards the small dogs, as I had suspected.  It's a shame, because it would have been a great home for her, but I've gotten two other applications for Flirt in the last week, both of which were local. 

One in particular caught my attention because they currently have a Dane about Flirt's age and were looking for a companion.  They have no cats and no small dogs.  The man's commitment to his dog impressed me too.  Apparently when his ex-wife was leaving, he told her she could take anything in the house if she would leave the dog.  She took everything from the house, but did leave the dog, and he was happy with the arrangement.  The dog bed in their living room is a mattress from a double bed, and their current Dane has her own recliner as well.  The bed in the bedroom consists of two queen sized beds joined together, to accommodate the dog. 

We went to visit there this evening, over at the far eastern edge of Louisa County, actually not far from the west end of Richmond.  Flirt immediately spotted and staked out the bed for her own.  Their Dane was very friendly, but Flirt wasn't ready for her yet and gave a little growl.  She was all love and kisses for all the people in the household.  She was already better with the other dog by the time I left and I have good reason to believe that it will work out well after the two girls have a few days to get acquainted.  Poor Flirt has had some ups and downs, so I really hope this is the one.



My days need about 6 more hours in them.  It's about 10 p.m., I just got home from about nine hours of dog business, and I still have about six more hours of work, but at least it's Friday and my work can spill over into Saturday.

1 comment:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Sounds hopeful for Flirt. That would be super for you & Flirt. The rescued German Shepherds with ear problems is sad. You could use a full-time vet tech to help treat them. Please keep us posted. Thank you, Brent. I made a donation to Fluvanna SPCA.