Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Road to Wellville

"The Road to Wellville" was a rather odd movie from 1994 about a rather odd person.  I'm not sure why I saw it, and I don't particularly recommend it, although I've seen worse.  I liked the title and I'm borrowing it here to announce Lilly's adoption, which we finalized today. 

It's fitting for Lilly because she's not entirely well, yet.  Like Irene (now Serena), she was rather withdrawn and hesitant about human contact because she had never had much of it. Lilly took to indoor living pretty quickly, however, and is slowly adjusting to a better life.  Although she is still rather solitary much of the time, she apparently likes human contact on her own terms.  When she wants something, like being let out, she seeks out her person and makes her wants known.  They go for walks and Lilly is very attentive and sticks close. 

Fortunately, and wisely I think, her new owner is letting her go at her own pace.  She has made a lot of progress and already and she has a family that loves her and wants to help her, so I have to believe that she will come around. 


The sixth and final of the surrendered shepherds is Molly and she came to our house today.  I didn't take her initially because the whorder had said that she was dog-aggressive, which is a big problem around here.  We had taken Jeremy to meet her and she was fine with him, so she's not completely dog-aggressive anyway. Then I thought another rescue group was going to take her, but that didn't happen, so she came here.  She's in a kennel by herself tonight, adjacent to another kennel with three other dogs.  I'll give her a couple days to decompress before trying her out with the others. 

Molly, at least, is friendly and outgoing, not withdrawn like some of them have been.  That's a tribute to the kennel staff at the Fluvanna SPCA in large part because they interact with these dogs all day long and have shown them that people aren't all bad. 

Molly is an older girl, 7-8 years old, and it's sad to think that she has lived her entire life with that slut bitch whore Jennifer Brooks.  This is one of those times when we remind ourselves that dogs live in the present and don't dwell on the past.  We are going to find her a great home for the rest of her life, regardless of how long it is.  Our Gypsy is 13 now, so Molly could be just past middle-aged.  And she's not ready for a rocking chair, she has a lot of living to catch up on. 

This makes 10 new dogs from the shelter over the past couple of weeks, 6 shepherds and 4 non-shepherds.  Two of the non-shepherds have been adopted already, and 3 of the shepherds.  One of the shepherds, Big Boy, is in another foster home, so I really only have 4 new dogs here--Maggie Mae, Molly, Ry, and Dugan. Spring is the best time for dog adoptions, I think.  Flirt, Shadow, Rita, and Sunny have moved out since the Fluvanna dogs started coming in, and that has helped tremendously.  I always tell people that when they adopt a dog, they not only save that dog, they have also saved the next dog who moves in to take that open space. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good luck to Lilly on her adoption.
Molly is beautiful, and I don't think she is ready for the rocking chair yet either. (smile)
An excellent statement, "I always tell people that when they adopt a dog, they not only save that dog, they have also saved the next dog who moves in to take that open space."
Your movie title brought to mind a movie I really liked called The Trip to Bountiful. I would recommend it.