Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Carly at the vet

Carly had a vet appointment today.

I tried, but failed, to get a harness on her. I finally just opened the gate and let her run around the yard. I let Theo out with her so she wouldn't be tempted to try to run off, and she didn't. I finally got her back into the dog yard and just hooked the leash to her collar. Being careful to use only my right arm, I led her to the van and she hopped through the open door into a crate. She settled down pretty nicely for the ride. She did vomit sometime, but I'm not sure if it was on the way to the vet or on the way home. I suspect car rides are very new to her.

I went into the vet's office alone at first, to make sure there was no one in the lobby and that we had a clear shot to an empty exam room. She was pretty much exactly as I expected she would be. She was sweet, friendly, and overly exuberant. It took at least a couple people to hold her for the vaccines and exam, but she didn't give them any problem beyond being very big, strong, and wiggly. She is a big beast but she's a friendly one, thank Dog.

Her blood work was all negative, which I pretty much expected in light of her young age. We have a spay appointment set up for the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. I can't thank the folks at Old Dominion Animal Hospital enough. They handle everything I bring in there, and they aren't always easy ones. Carly isn't easy, but it's just because she's big, young, and wild. After the excitement was over, she did actually calm down in the exam room and even laid down for a bit while I chatted with the vet.

I brought her home and gave her some dog yard time with Max for the evening. She's been bunking with Rex, but I thought she might like a change of shepherd.