Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Rottweiler Physics

I survived Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Scam Sunday, Cyber Monday, and Giving Tuesday by ignoring all of them. That brings us to Social Responsibility Wednesday. Don't worry, I made that up, you don't have to do anything, but I did my bit for the community today by taking Carly and Griff to two different vets to be spayed and neutered.

It was earlier than I usually leave the house and Maya was concerned because Clay and I both left at the same time and took two dogs, neither of which was her.

Before the surgery I couldn't get Carly to even lift her head for
a picture. She wanted to sniff everything.
I dropped off Carly first, waiting until the reception area was clear before bringing her in because she enters every new place like a powerful tornado. But the staff was prepared for her and had met her previously, so it all went relatively smoothly. She weighed only about 76 pounds, which surprised me because she looks and feels like a hundred pound dog. I guess it's explained by Newton's Second Law of motion, which states that: The net force of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration of the object. Carly's power is the product of her mass multiplied by her speed, which is considerable.

Next I dropped off Griffin. He weighed about 50 pounds, which also surprised me because he looks like such a skinny, scrawny boy. But again, you really feel his force when he throws himself at you for the boxer hug.

It was Clay's day off so we went together to pick them up after 5:00 p.m. Carly acted like a completely different dog, walking calmly on the leash, without pulling or jumping. We didn't even need to clear the reception area before she entered. That's the power of drugs. I expect she will be acting more like herself by tomorrow morning, but we brought home a goodie bag of pharmaceuticals to help keep her calm and quiet for a few days, at least.
Griff came out wearing an e-collar but
I took it off him when we got home.

Griff was also pretty calm, but his meds seemed to be wearing off by the time we got home. Both dogs barfed up some water so no one is getting anything until tomorrow morning. They are both in crates in my office now, where I will try to keep them for most of the next few days, at least.
I didn't do much better with pictures of Carly after the surgery.
She came inside for the first time, upstairs for the first time,
and settled into a crate for the first time. I hope she'll be
content there for a few days at least.







No comments: