Saturday, November 11, 2017

No statues, no nazis

Well, it seems I'm back to square one with Rex. Actually I'm at square -1, because I learned today that he needs to go to a home without small children, not because of any experience I've had with him, but because of some unverified prior history that I didn't learn about until today.

I took Rex to a Promises adoption event today and he was great with everyone, people and dogs. Rex really enjoyed himself, I think, and he proved once again that he will do anything for a treat. Rex is wonderful and is available to a home without small children, or visiting grandchildren.







On the way home we stopped at Cedar Mountain Battlefield. I've been driving past it for yours, on Rt. 15 south of Culpeper, but I have always had too many dogs or not enough time. Today I just had Rex and I had the time so we stopped. It's not a big place and the trail isn't well marked in places, but we made our way around it and Rex had a good time.

I'd also like to point out that this is real history, not some statue or monument erected decades later by some rich old fucker trying to pretend the Civil War had a different outcome.

Most of the interpretation at the battlefield consisted of signs that talked about troop movement during the course of the battle. Reading that stuff makes me sleepy, but one of the signs noted that there were 405 unmarked graves in the field and that the battle had been stopped at one point allowing soldiers from both sides to mingle together on the field to tend to the wounded and bury their dead. It was one big stupid senseless loss. No statues, no nazis. No heros, no whitewash. No glamor, no glory, just real history.



Carly
Theo
We made it home with just enough daylight left for a quick pasture romp with Max, Theo, and Carly. I owed it to them and they made the most of it in the time we had before dark. I have an adoption prospect for Carly, a good one, with folks who have adopted two rotties from me in the past. Of course, she isn't yet spayed or even vaccinated. I'll get her to the vet this next week.


L to R: Theo, Carly, and Max









No comments: