Friday, March 15, 2019

Welcome Reka

These are three of the five puppies in the litter.
I've been pretty much out of the adoption loop for the past several weeks. I started refusing fosters when I knew I was going to Kansas and then for the two weeks I was away. But I still had a small part in facilitating one adoption that I'd like to share.

My sister Kate and her partner Kim were down to two small dogs, a Jack Russell and another small terrier type. Their household pack weight was suffering. Kim wanted a puppy version of a larger breed dog and they weren't having any luck from local sources.
Reka sitting in a food dish in her foster home.
The pups stayed healthy and grew, and most of
all they had two more weeks with their litter,
which I think is important in learning social skills.

And it came to pass that Promises Animal Rescue took in a litter of pups from a shelter in Tennessee. They looked like shepherd mixes, but then many puppies do. They were quarantined down there in a foster home for a couple weeks to make sure they didn't come down with parvo. I shared the pictures and Kim took the bait. She wanted a female and her name is Reka.

A volunteer pilot from Pilots N Paws brought little Reka to the airport in Frankfurt, Kentucky just a few days ago.

Reka boarding her private flight. 
Kim with Reka upon arrival.



She's got a cropped tail so she might be a rottie mix, or at least someone thought so.

Kim took Reka to work with her.


The lower level of their house is actually made of native stone. I've always liked that and I think
it's the best possible flooring for a house with dogs. Reka will have a great home there.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww. Great story. So happy for your sister and for Reka. Pilots and Paws helped me get my dog, Nell, about three years ago. Nell was in an Illinois shelter and I was in Falls Church. We met for the first time at the Athens, OH, airport and we were all thrilled. I love Pilots and Paws! Best wishes to your sister and Reka.
Kathleen