Friday, December 19, 2008

Fosters with ringworm

Julie and Philly, shown here, are two CASPCA foster dogs with ringworm. Julie (left) is the larger, adult dog. Philly (below, right) is the pup.

When a dog comes into the shelter with ringworm, they like to get them out and into foster care. It avoids contamination and spread of the disease to others and it frees up space. Ringworm is entirely curable, but it takes time. Spending 6 or more weeks in isolation in the shelter is rough on the dogs and it takes up valuable space.

I often take in foster dogs with ringworm because I have a facility where they can be kept separated from other dogs. Quite often I get entire litters of puppies with ringworm, or suspected ringworm. This gives me a chance to have puppies every once in a while, which is often enough.

Ringworm is contagious between dogs and even from dogs to people. However, there are a lot of misconceptions about it. First, it's not a worm at all, it's a fungal infection of the skin. It is common on dogs who come out of very unsanitary conditions. Improving the dog's living conditions goes a long way towards addressing the problem. Although it is contagious, it is not to be feared like the plague. I do limit my cuddle time with an infected dog until they've had a couple of treatments. I've never picked up the infection myself, however, nor have any of my other dogs. A dog (or person) that is clean, dry, and basically in good health shouldn't have much to worry about.

Julie had a pretty bad case of ringworm and you can see the patches of hair loss, although they are beginning to grow back in. The treatment is a lyme/sulphur dip that smells terrible, but it sure works.

I'm always glad to have more than one ringworm dog at a time so they have some company. Philly is particularly playful and would be miserable if she didn't have Julie to chew on, play with, and cuddle next to at night. These girls have had three treatments so far and I'm hoping they are clear of the disease so they can move on soon to a permanent home.

No comments: