Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Solstice Miracle

Let me tell you a story of a real Solstice miracle; one that doesn't require you to believe in UFOs in the sky over a Palestinian town or that virgins can give birth.

This miracle child is a rottweiler named Bear, or Care Bear as I like to call him. He came to me over a year ago from the Fluvanna SPCA. He had "shut down" in the shelter and had to get out. It wasn't long before I discovered that Bear had serious issues being handled and restrained by people. We had some wrestling matches in a vet's office with a vet who would have preferred to euthanize rather than treat the dog. However, although Bear would fight restraint, he did so only in an effort to escape, not to harm. If he had been out to hurt me, I would not be here writing this, or anything, today. He's a big, powerful dog, but he just needed training and socialization.

Still, I couldn't risk taking him to outings where every kid in town (and most of their parents) feel that it's appropriate to reach into a cage and touch or pull on any part of any dog they can reach.

Bear settled in at my place, where he loved running in the pasture, playing in the water, and really loved playing long distance fetch with a tennis ball. Bear taught Baron and me how to play "Mower Ball" -- I'd ride on the mower and throw a tennis ball in the recently-mowed pasture; he'd bring it back to me on the next pass. He quickly learned to drop the ball close enough for me to reach it, but not in the path of the mower. This would go on until the pasture was done, or until I ran out of gas.

He came to trust me and learned to take food out of my hand and even to wait patiently until given a signal to go after his food. He was actually rather sensitive to a stern voice and really wanted to please. He also proved to be as smart as only a rottie can be. Still, I was aware that although Bear would listen to me and let me handle him, that would not necessarily translate to other people.

Good rottweiler adopters are few and far between, and those willing to take on a potentially tough dog are virtually non-existent. I'm not sure I had any inquiries about Bear in all the time I had him, until one day a couple weeks ago.

Rick and Donna wrote that they needed a friend for their female Doberman who was missing her companion who had died a while back. I doubted that they, or anyone, would be right for Bear, but I told them his story and they said all the right things and still wanted to meet him.

Rick is serious about security for his home and his dogs, with a very secure fence, barbed wire on top, and an electric wire on the bottom to prevent digging out. Their dogs are housetrained, but also have freedom to run and play in a large, very secure, yard. Bear made a big impression on the first day by demonstrating his ability to open the gate of the kennel. He topped that by opening a car door and jumping in back, and then opened the back door to the house, ran inside, and laid down by the sofa!

When Bear growled at Rick's initial attempt to handle him, Rick's reaction was simply: "Oh, I guess I have to earn the right to do that." It was the perfect reaction and demonstrated an understanding of the dog and a willingness to earn the dog's trust. When I went back a week later to complete the adoption, Bear was as happy as I've ever seen him. He was already desensitized to being handled by Rick and Donna; the two dogs are playing together; and Bear was well on the way to learning house manners.

Bear was not the dog for everyone, but he deserved a new home, and he found it. We should be very happy for Bear. Good night Bear.




p.s. This was written a couple years ago. Bear is still doing well and has been joined in his new home by a new rottie mix named Lady. Unfortunately, Rick recently died. He was a wonderful, fun-loving man, and he is greatly missed. He has the best possible seat in doggie heaven where he has been reunited with his prior canine friends. We can only hope to join him one day.

No comments: