Friday, December 5, 2008

A Senior Dog with Senior Needs

I haven't been a regular foster for CASPCA until this summer. I would take large breed dogs from the shelter into one of the other rescue groups that I work with, generally shepherds or rottweilers. I have also fostered dogs with ringworm, because I have the facilities to keep them isolated from others.

However, this summer when the floors needed to be re-done in the kennels, I took in five dogs as fosters. They were a very mixed bag. One got adopted quickly, 2 others I returned when the floors were done. One of them that I still have is Amisha, or Amy as I call her. Amy is part shepherd, for sure, but I can't really venture a guess on what else went into her make up. It came out nicely, however. She's got a beautiful red and black coat, thick like a husky's, and 4 white legs and feet.

Amy is probably 8 or so years old. She's a senior girl with senior issues and senior needs. She has some arthritis, although not enough to keep her from doing anything that she really wants to do. She does need a little help getting into a car. She has a dry eye that needs some ointment on a daily basis. She doesn't like being bothered by a bunch of young dogs in her face. She likes her own space and her own pace. Amy loves to lie in the sun on a warm day. She will roll over for a belly rub from absolutely anyone. In fact, it's her standard greeting rather than a sniff, lick, or wag of the tail.

What she really needs of course is a home of her own, which she would enjoy gratefully and gracefully, providing companionship and love for anyone willing to do the same for her. Amy will stay with me as long as it takes to find her a home.

No comments: