Thursday, February 12, 2009

Foster dog swap

I had an email from CASPCA yesterday offering a 3 for 1 swap. They would take back Julie if I take in three pups with scabies. It doesn't sound like such a good deal, but of course I took it. Julie only has demodex at this point. She isn't contagious and doesn't really need to be here. Back at the shelter she will get more human interaction and she will get to be known by the staff. She's very sweet and I expect that she will be adopted quickly when the demodex is cleared up. Still, I hated to take her back. She wasn't particularly scared, but I felt bad leaving her when she still didn't have a home and wasn't yet ready for adoption.

The three pups I took in have scabies, which is the potentially contagious form of mange-- contagious to both dogs and humans. However, they've already had the Revolution, which will kill the mites rather quickly (I hope), and they can go back on February 21st, making them pretty short termers. Also, they can go in a separate kennel and they don't have to be rotated in and out of the dog yard. With Julie gone, that pack is down to four (Bear, Jeep, Betty, and Score), which will make them easier to move from the kennel to the yard, to the pasture, etc. And then there is the whole adorable puppy factor:















No comments: