Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lyka's mania, Emmy's phobia, and Score meets cats

I tried walking Emmylou and Lyka together this afternoon. It was a complete disaster, mainly because Lyka is nuts. I gave up, very frustrated, and we came back home. Lyka moved over to the kennel with Bud and Chance, where she will remain until I figure out what to do with her. I think the dog is mildly retarded. She's sweet and very attentive and actually quite well behaved indoors, although she can't be crated. When she gets excited, she completely loses control. It's like a switch goes off in her brain from "normal" to "nuts." I really don't know what to do about her.

After returning home and introducing Lyka to Chance and Bud, Emmy and I went back to the trails for a hike because I owed it to her and I needed one then more than ever. I thought we'd just do a short one because I had a lot of other things to do, but once we got going, we kept at it, a very fast pace walk and occasional jog for over an hour. Best thing in the world for my blood pressure. As we were near the end of the trail, we came upon a footbridge, and Emmy balked at it, refusing to cross. Now, I have bridge phobia myself, so I can relate, but we have crossed that particular bridge many times in the past and she's never hesitated. I don't know what was different this time. It's not terribly high, and the stream running under it could be jumped or waded through without even getting very wet. We backed up a few steps and tried again, and about the third time she followed me on across. Very strange.

After the walk, I shuffled dogs again (everyone got a good amount of yard and pasture time today), and then Score and I went to the SPCA to meet cats. Score has an interested applicant, but the woman has three cats. Score was great, only casual interest in the cats, not the least bit aggressive, and Sammy the Test Cat sensed no untoward signals either. I'm going to take the new rottie, Bear, in for the cat test too. He has a fan and might have an adoption prospect if he proved to be cat friendly.

p.s. Philly was adopted out from the SCPA the day after she returned there and got spayed. I didn't get a lot of details, but it appeared to be a good home. I wish the best for her.

1 comment:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Good for Philly. You are doing an amazing amount of good for all your foster dogs.