Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Julie adopted from CASPCA

I had a note from CASPCA today that Julie had been adopted. I was at once very happy and sad. I'm happy for her, of course. She was a great dog, very good to everyone, and she deserved a wonderful home. I hope she got it. The sad part is simply because I wasn't involved in finding the home. I guess I feel responsible for them if I foster them and it's hard to turn them back over to someone else to make the placement decision. I don't have any reason to believe it is anything less than a fantastic home; it's just the not knowing part that is difficult.

I saw Julie when I was at the shelter earlier this week. I walked into the lobby and she was there with someone who had been out walking her. She recognized me and was happy to see me. I wasn't sure when I went in that day if I would seek her out. I was afraid that she would be upset if she saw me but didn't get to go home with me. That's just me projecting my own feelings onto the dog, I know, but I do wonder what they must think.

Julie was wonderful. She really raised Philly, and put up with all of her puppy nonsense while they were both quarantined together for ringworm. Philly owes her a big debt of gratitude, and she enriched my life as well. She's not the prettiest dog in the world, but I've known few dogs who could match her for sweetness and just good, solid temperament. She was "bomb proof," nothing rattled her, she got along with everyone, and she could move into pretty much any situation with ease. I hope her adopters know how lucky they are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fostering a dog is difficult because you end up caring a lot about them and what their future holds. I originally fostered my two youngest dogs, thinking it was only for a month or two. Each time the rescue would send an application, I'd find some flaw in it and reject it. And, while I'd never in a million years thought I'd have three dogs, I wouldn't change a thing now. I adore them and can't imagine not having the trio!