Friday, January 15, 2010

Daily update

Rocky is ok. I finally had a call from the vet student in charge of his care this evening, close to 9:00 p.m. It was after 7:30 when they finished surgery. They thought it was a good surgical outcome. The vet called early this afternoon after they did the CT scan. The calcification of the ear canal was worse than expected, increasing the risk of damage to the facial nerve during surgery. Also, they were afraid that they would not be able to remove all of the damaged tissue because it came very close to some major blood vessels. But, it sounds like the surgery went very well. Paul (the vet student) told me that Rocky would feel like a whole new dog when this was all over.

He's on IV pain meds now of course, which he will need. They have the second surgery scheduled for next Tuesday. The hospital is staffed 24 hours a day with vet techs, students, and at least one vet with others on call. So I can't ask for more than that and it's certainly more than I could do for him here.

I'm relieved for now, but of course there is another surgery to get through and a long road of recovery, but his pain should soon be a thing of the past.

There's enough people concerned about Rocky who are checking here daily for updates that I feel compelled to do a daily posting, at least for a while. I'm grateful for everyone's concern, and I also welcome the push to do a daily posting, at least for a while. Self-discipline is not my strong suit, so anything that can help me develop a bit more of it is welcome, at least for a while. (Are you sensing a lack of full committment on my part?) The downside is that I may become boring and repetitive, but that's a risk already.


I'm down to 5 foster dogs currently, but there are still the 7 puppies, and the 6 of our own, so I'm probably not going to run short of possible material. And the need to post something daily may give me the incentive to do something new and different occasionally. It could happen.

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Brent,

I am really glad to hear the first surgery went well. Rocky deserves to be pain free. His spirit has really touched me. I have spread the word on Rocky and I know a few donations are coming. Also, my stepdaughter is back at VT on Monday so if there is anything we can do to help let me know. Thanks again for taking care of Rocky.

my three pups said...

Good to know he is over one hurdle.

By the way, on paypal, you can leave instructions to the merchant - vgsr - and my instructions said that the donation was for Rocky's surgery. I followed this up with an email to info@shepherdrescue.org (I think that was the address) saying the same thing.

Thanks for the update.

Brent said...

Thanks so much. I can not begin to tell you have much I appreciate this. Many people are faced with a terrible choice when their dog needs medical care they can't afford. Rocky is luckier than many in that regard.

Ann N said...

Wonderful that things went so well! I remember Chessie coming out with hot pink vet wrap stylishly covering her legs--wondering how Rocky will look with the bright blue vet wrap around his ears? Not sure how you bandage for this, and my post-op recovery lasted a full year--hopefully much shorter for you! Post pics the day you get him home!

ladybugz said...

ladybugzSo happy to hear the surgery went well. Rocky has been in our thoughts and prayers constantly, and pulling my heart strings. How wonderful you must have felt when told that Rocky will feel like a new guy. I think he deserves a big juicy steak when he gets home...: )

denise