Saturday, January 23, 2010

Incoming foster dogs

Today I drove again to Greene County and to Charlottesville to pick up two shepherds that I had met and evaluated yesterday afternoon.

Duke is from Greene County. He was surrendered by an owner who couldn't afford to keep him. It was my first time going to that shelter and I was pleasantly surprised. It was small, but clean and well run. The man in charge was apparently the county's ACO (animal control officer), and he was helpful and pleasant. He seemed genuinely interested in getting dogs adopted. Greene County has an active humane society and it may be that the shelter is theirs, I'm not sure. Nice place, but I'm sure they could use 2-3 times more space.

A young woman was walking Duke when I arrived. I had the impression that she would have liked to adopt Duke herself. That is the biggest hazard of working at or even walking into an animal shelter. I was happy to see volunteers working at the shelter, that is always a good sign.


Duke is large, young, male, and very handsome. I've already contacted a former adopter who had been looking for a male. I think he would be great for her, if Starr (the former foster dog), agrees. I hope to get Duke vaccinated and neutered next week.

The second new dog is one that I first met last week at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA. Dakota is young, small (for a male shepherd), and is that black and red color combination I like so much. He is also alleged to be housetrained and cat-tested, which should make him very popular. I've contacted someone about him and hope they will be interested.


He is probably between one and two years old and is still very puppy-like in his play.

Tomorrow I pick up Rocky and am also meeting someone who is bringing me a young, male boxer. With Rocky back and three new fosters, I'm glad that the puppies are going back to the SPCA on Monday.

No comments: