Thursday, January 21, 2010

Surgery postponed

Rocky is fine but the weather in southwest Virginia is bad. They closed the vet school and hospital early today because of icy weather conditions. We are just getting cold rain here, but it may turn to sleet and freezing rain overnight. Lovely.

So Rocky's second surgery is postponed until tomorrow at the soonest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed to next week. He's still on IV antibiotics, and Rocky has always been fine being crated, so I'm not overly concerned about the delay. I would like to get him home, however, and was hoping to do so this weekend so I wouldn't have to miss another day of work. I was also planning to meet my SW Virginia rescue resource person in Blacksburg this weekend. She's bringing me a boxer and meeting down there will save her a couple hours of drive time compared to our usual meeting spot at Natural Bridge.

Donations are coming in for Rocky and I want to thank everyone. VGSR will acknowledge all the contributions, but I've asked them to let me know as well so I can send a thank you email or note. For the anonymous contributor(s), I hope you are reading the blog, this is your thank you, a big wet one, direct from Rocky.

OK, it's not pretty, but it's sweet. The picture on the right was taken at the shelter when I first brought Rocky home. Even at his worst, he has always been a sweet and friendly dog. The picture at the top is Rocky at his best, after we had the initial infection cleared up and his face healed up. The surgery will hopefully prevent the infection from recurring. He will probably have floppy ears after the surgery, but that's a small price to pay for good health.

No comments: