Friday, January 8, 2010

Brody's adoption, and prospects for more?

Brody is the best looking dog that took a long time to adopt. Yes, I was picky because I liked him, but mostly I was picky because he needed a home where he would be the center of attention and not a household accessory. A lot of people wanted him but I turned them all down until the right one came along. Brody is a gorgeous dog, and as sweet as he is smart, but his social skills with other dogs leaves something to be desired. He found a home where he is appreciated as the only dog.

He's entertaining enough to keep the household busy, I'm sure, but he's also pretty well adapted to the routine of a human household. Mostly he's a very smart dog who craves attention and is eager to do whatever it takes to get it. He's happy to do whatever his owner wants, once he knows what it is. The first report from the adopter sounds very good so I'm hopeful.




On New Year's Day the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA held a makeup adoption event. Their pre-christmas Home for the Holidays event was the same weekend as our big snow, so they wisely cancelled it. I was free on January 1st and went to the event, along with Copper, Birdie, and Teddy. I was most impressed with Birdie. She was not scared of strangers and she was sweet and full of kisses for everyone. Birdie is still the SPCA's dog. I'm just a foster officially. They were hesitant to adopt her out when she was in the shelter because she displayed intermittent barrier aggression when people approached her run in the shelter. I don't know that I've done anything to help her overcome the problem except get her out of that environment, which is very scary and intimidating for some dogs. She's been great here at home, but until this public event I wasn't sure how she would be with strangers.

I got some good pics of her, and had a call today from someone who is interested in her.


Copper was also very well behaved at the adoption event.


We actually tried Copper in someone's home the first of this week. His housemanners were good, but he's a bit dominant with other dogs and there was a toddler in the household, so I am actually glad he's back, I think that was pushing our luck. He's living with two other dogs now, but he is a bit food aggressive so he would be best with a non-alpha female or as an only dog.

He was great, though, all smiles and wags, so I'm confident we'll find him a home.

No comments: