Sunday, January 10, 2010

Good things come...

"Good things come to those who wait" is one of those pearls of wisdom I always atributed to my mother for lack of a better source. The pearl analogy is quite apt too, because maternal wisdom, much like real pearls, starts out as a small irritation that eventually achieves a virtuous gloss.

The phrase rang true to me today because Birdie got adopted. When I looked at her vet history, I realized she had come in to the SPCA in March of '09. I'm not sure when I brought her home to foster, but it may have been last spring. Her only real problem, I think, was that she was young and scared. Her experiences with our species may not have been the best. I think she enjoyed her time here--she learned to be a dog and to live without fear, but she was ready for a home.

She didn't get just any home either, she got a great one, well worth the wait. I spent much of the afternoon picking up paperwork, doing the adoption, and returning the completed contract and adoption fee, but I can't think of many ways I'd rather spend the day. Birdie deserves it. She's enjoying indoor life on the sofa, she's enjoying her runs, and she will enjoy the hikes on the Appalachian Trail.

1 comment: