Friday, February 5, 2010

Afternoon outdoor break


With this many dogs indoors, and at least 3 of them crated, they have to get outside for bio-breaks and exercise even in bad weather. The truth is, most dogs aren't particularly bothered by the snow and even enjoy it, at least in small doses. Because the days are so short, the second outdoor romp has to occur late afternoon. Everyone will get out to pee again before bed, but this was the last big outing of the day. Diesel, the boxer, showed that even short coated dogs enjoy a little romp in the snow. His big square nose makes a great snow shovel. A little snow does a long way when you have no fat and not much fur, however, so he wasn't hard to convince to come back inside.

The dog who wanted to spend the most time outdoors and evaded all attempts to get him back inside, was Rocky. He didn't mind the cold or snow in the least, and he had a great time digging through the snow for buried treasure (trust me, you don't want to know).

I suspect he feels so much better than he has in so long, that everything is wonderful to this guy. He's got a spring in his step, and speed, that I haven't seen before and he's interested in engaging other dogs in play.

The hair on his neck and face is growing back in so he looks less like an accident victim. The harness is working well on him, but I think I need to attach a leash and let him drag it around to increase my chances of catching him.

1 comment:

my three pups said...

My dogs are enjoying the snow as well. However, I've noticed that with the fluffy Clydesdale-like paws, they develop snow/ice clods between their toes inside the pads. This becomes painful if they are outside too long and the clods become too large. But, what a struggle to clean these off of dogs who don't especially like me fooling with their feet!

Happy to read that Rocky is doing well.