Sunday, February 21, 2010

A new owner surrender

In most cases, people dump their dogs because they are no longer convenient for them to have. Occasionally, however, people give up their dog because it's the best thing for the dog. My newest foster, Zeus, is such a dog. The owners are a retired couple with three other dogs, all well cared for. Zeus is well cared for too. He's very friendly and greeted me with great interest and enthusiasm. They love the dog and hate to give him up, but unfortunately he has taken to jumping their fence and they live on a very busy and dangerous road. That's a scenario that would not have ended well for the dog. Improving the fence wasn't really an option, and they have some physical limitations so the dog's outdoor activity was pretty much limited to being on a tie out. He's a young dog, and they didn't want to see him live that way for the rest of his life.

So Zeus came home with me and I got some pretty good pictures of him already this afternoon. He's in a kennel adjacent to Duke, but will come inside, along with Duke, this evening. He's accustomed to being crated at night and he's well housetrained. He has lived with two small dogs and one decent sized one, but hasn't been around cats or small children, so my usual adoption limitations will apply.

I had a spay appointment made for a female that I thought was coming, but since that didn't happen I will let this guy take her surgery slot on Thursday. He's a great looking dog, young and healthy, should be a fairly easy foster.

1 comment:

mythreepups said...

You know what? It's excellent that those folks realized what was best for Zeus. He's going to have much more fun, now that he's with you.

Often, I check the shelter where I adopted two of my dogs, Elsa and Finn. Last night, I found a GSD that had spent his first year inside, and the next two tied to a box outside. I find that so tragic. He was also an owner surrender. http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15799128

What's with people? The two dogs I have from that shelter also spent time 'tied to a box'. And, who knows why. They are wonderful dogs. Easy to house train, obedience train, and exemplary and so many ways. I just don't understand tying up dogs. Never ever will, either.