Monday, February 1, 2010

Back from the vet

I took Rocky back for a re-check late this afternoon. His ear was much improved, which I could tell from the smell over the last couple of days. I'm thinking and hoping it was just a little post-op infection in the incision, but we are going to use the new super-duper antibiotics and take no chances. He seems perkier and his appetite is as strong as ever, but he is completely deaf. Lots of dogs pretend to not hear me. When Emmylou is going hunting, she will look at me, turn away, and head on her way as if I wasn't standing there yelling my head off. Rocky, however, isn't acting. He may need a hearing assistance dog of his own.

A former VGSR volunteer, who unfortunately moved to god-forsaken Utah is interested in adopting Rocky. I can't imagine a better home for him, so I hope we can make it happen.


It was a full van on the trip home because I also picked up the boxer, Diesel, and the shepherd, Duke, who got neutered today. Diesel has an ear infection so he has meds for that, and Duke has Lyme disease, so he will be on doxycycline for several weeks. But they both did fine and both tested negative for heartworms, thankfully.

Diesel and Duke are crated upstairs in my office. They were both very groggy still when I brought them home so they've been pretty quiet in their crates this evening. The shepherd pic is Duke, having a little dog yard time when we got home before coming inside. He's a great dog, but he's not exactly dog-friendly. The neutering may help that, but the effect isn't immediate. Duke is a handsome dog, but he may be like Brody and need to be an only dog.

No comments: