Saturday, February 20, 2010

Celia & Dax

Celia was fostered by another VGSR volunteer but the adopter lives in Charlottesville so they met at my place.

She has a really great home and was probably perfectly happy as an only dog, having all of the attention for herself.

I took another dog over there for a visit one time. I don't remember which dog it was, but I think it was one of those crazy, high strung shepherds, it didn't result in a second adoption. Celia continued solo.

I just checked my old email, and the dog I first took over there was Lyka (at right). I couldn't remember her name, but my description of her (crazy, high strung) was spot on. Lyka had a manical look in her eyes and I'm not sure she was all there. But she eventually got adopted by a young man who was crazy about her. The VGSR hotline received one post-adoption phone call from someone who had found Lyka and I was terrified by the thought that she may be coming back. Fortunately, the caller also called the adopter's phone number on the other tag and they were quickly reunited. I wish Lyka the best, but I really hope to never hear of her under those circumstances again. Maybe she has settled down by now, but I have my doubts.

The dog who did hit it off with Celia was Dax. He's a big, goofy, non-alpha type, as friendly as he is handsome. The two of them got along fine. Celia showed him around and made it clear what belonged to her. He knew his place and was just happy to be there. They became good friends. The adopter is a small woman and the two dogs together certainly outweigh her. But she is in charge and I never had a moment's doubt about her ability to handle them. Celia was adopted in 2006, Dax in 2008. She sent me these pictures yesterday. If she ever wants another one, I hope it's one of mine.

No comments: