Sunday, February 28, 2010

A good weekend

Saturday I drove to "occupied" (i.e. northern) Virginia with Zeus. We met a VGSR volunteer who is interested in adopting him. Zeus did well with his female shepherd and a much smaller Jack Russell that lives in the household. The last I heard, things were going well and if that continues, I expect he will be adopted.

Sunday I made the same drive again to VGSR's adoption event. Today I took Duke, Rocky, and Brady, as well as a female shepherd I was just transporting to another foster. Rocky was really just doing a victory lap, he already has a new home. I wanted some of the folks who had supported him and me throughout his treatment to see the new, happy, pain-free Rocky before he heads out to Utah. Brady always enjoys adoption events, he works the crowd and hustles food. He had a good time, but Sparky was very happy when he got back home. The female shepherd I was transporting met her new foster home. It's a home that adopted one of my former fosters so I know she will get everything she needs to find a great new home.

My big project for the day was Duke. He had not been out in public before, and he hadn't been around strangers or strange dogs, so I wasn't sure how he would be. He was terrified of the linoleum floor in the store, but he did his best to keep up with me and he soon learned how to walk on it using just the pads of his feet without trying to use his feet as claws. What I liked best was that he stuck to me like glue and looked to me for reassurance when he encountered new things. He was great with all the people and interacted well with the other dogs although I tried to limit his contact with dogs to those that I knew. He really is a great dog, and oh my, he is handsome. All those teeth he's showing in this picture are just a big smile. He's goofy and playful and will make a very devoted companion. He has Lyme disease, but he's asymptomatic and the treatment just involves twice daily pills that he gobbles right up with his regular food.

The pictures here are of Duke enjoying the snow in the backyard of what I hope will be his new home. We did the adoption contract but I'll sit on it for week or so until they are sure that everything will be all right. The folks are nice and come with the best possible recommendation, but they have two "obstacles to adoption" (children). Ordinarily, I wouldn't have tried it, but like I said, these folks came with a great recommendation, they are dog-savvy and experienced GSD owners, they have a crate and a fenced yard, it's a good household setup for the dog, and they have the time and desire to work with the dog. Duke was said to be good with children, per the prior owner, and he has a great temperament, so I do expect this to work out.

He was so glued to me all day that I felt bad to see him looking out the door at me as I left, but I expect that by this evening I am already a distant memory to him and he has bonded with his new people. He's that kind of dog.

1 comment:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

Nice to see him enjoying the snow and having so much fun.