Friday, July 2, 2010

How do you measure a year?



I can't believe it, but apparently it's been a year since Jeep (now Jake) was adopted. I went to the vet this morning with Mr. Sam, the senior black lab, for vaccines and heartworm test. Thankfully, and miraculously, he was negative. As I was leaving, Jessica handed me an envelope containing pictures and a note from Jeep's adopter.

They have another dog from me as well, a chocolate lab. The two dogs are perfectly matched in terms of energy and they keep each other exercised and entertained. She quickly allayed his fears and his shyness all but disappeared.

Apparently Jake is now a bit of clown, sticking his head into the leg of a pair of jeans or pulling at the cuff to take them off as his dad is getting dressed. The transition from painfully shy to clown is just incredible. I took Jeep/Jake (along with several other hounds) from the SPCA when their floors were being re-done. The others I sent back, but I fell in love with sweet Jeep and kept him although I didn't improve his adoption chances by doing so.

While he may not have been adopted quickly from my place, he did end up with the best possible home, so in the long run it was all worthwhile.

Oh, Jake had to be cat-friendly to make it in his new home. He is the sweetest, most gentle, and softest dog you'll ever meet. Everyone wants to touch him. The picture speaks for itself.

Now if you didn't already click the link at the top to hear "Seasons of Love" from Rent, here it is again:

How do you measure a year?


For Jake, a year measured in love is a very long time.

1 comment:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

How true: a year measured in love is a very long time.
Thank you, Brent, Darlene, & Jake.