Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Outsourcing

Outsourcing is a mixed bag. It generally refers to contracting out certain job functions to independent contractors or outside companies who can supposedly do the same job for less cost. It is a management scheme to cut the cost of labor by eliminating benefits, essentially, and often the jobs are outsourced overseas, so the word tends to carry a negative connotation. However, I've done the same thing lately with two dogs, passing them off to other foster homes who can do the job as well or better and free up my space for others. (In management speak that would translate to "concentrating on my core competencies.")

Unlike corporate outsourcing of jobs, outsourcing dogs is a win/win scenario for everyone, especially the dogs.

A lot of dogs come my way and there are not that many foster homes with the shepherd group outside of northern Virginia and Tidewater areas. I'm sitting here centrally located in the large part of the state where foster homes are scarce. Plus, I've been doing this for so long that a lot of dogs find their way to me via referrals from shelters, adopters, etc. A lot of the dogs that come from rural shelters have no history and it's generally impossible to get any kind of temperament test beyond an unknown shelter attendant's vague "nice dog" assessment. Many foster homes are reluctant to take on an unknown quantity, particularly if they have other dogs, cats, kids, etc.

I can take a chance on a dog sometimes, because I do have the facilities to keep them separate if necessary. It gives me a chance to find out something more about the dog. If I make a mistake, it's just my problem to deal with and I either hold the dog until he or she turns around, or on rare occasion, make the decision to euthanize.

Sadie came from the Greene County shelter and I took her without much information because the shelter director called me, said she was a nice girl, and I wanted to encourage that relationship. She is nice, very nice, sweet girl, just a little bit of a bitch. I tested her with cats, she did well, and I moved her off to another foster home. It's a better home, she gets more attention, and more of what she will need to get adopted.

Lexi came to me from an owner so I knew more about her. She tested positive for heartworms, however, and so she's likely to be a 6 to 8 week foster at least. She went to a home that needed a female, and one that wasn't too needy or couldn't be left alone during baseball season. She was a good fit--calm, good indoors, good with other dogs, but I wouldn't have known that unless I had her here at my place for a while.

And I feel good about the interim placements of both of these dogs. If they don't work out, I can always take them back, but I know the foster people and the foster dogs well enough to know that both placements stand a good chance. It is notable also that both of these foster homes are people who have adopted their own dogs from me. I wouldn't put one of my fosters in the care of someone I didn't trust to find it a good home.

With those two dogs moved on to other foster homes, I have space to take in some new ones. I'm getting a white shepherd on Saturday. Don't know much about her except that she's young and wild. I don't think I'd have found her a foster home with that description. We tried actually, and had no takers (big surprise), so she's coming to me. Next week I'm getting a young male golden retriever/yellow lab mix, and two young female weimaraners. The weims are just moving through to a weim rescue group.

No comments: