Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Road running

I got up and started work early this morning because I was scheduled to meet my doggie dealer down at Natural Bridge at 2:00 p.m. I left about 11:30 and we both got there about 1:30. She had two stray weimaraners that had come out of her local shelter. They are pretty girls, one is dark gray and the other very silver. They were rather shy and skittish, so we just moved the crates from Linda's truck to the back of my van without taking them out. I'll return the crates on the next trip and I'm sure there will be one.

I had taken a weimaraner from down there previously and then transferred the dog to a weim rescue group. They were willing to take these two girls, but the foster is out of town. Linda managed to get them a rabies vaccine so I could take them straight to a boarding kennel. The boarding kennel is east of our place, not exactly on the way home. It added about an hour and a half to the trip, but it was two dogs in a safe place that I didn't have to board here. They seemed happy to be reunited again too, having been kenneled separately at the shelter they were in.

The van was full today, because in addition to the two weims, I brought home a boxer and a shepherd, of sorts.

The boxer is awesome, confirming yet again my high opinion of this breed. I am running low on collars at home, but I had a red collar with stars on it that had been given to me recently. It looks good on him, and I'm tentatively calling him General, inspired by the stars. I'll get him neutered asap and hopefully have a dozen potential adopters to choose from.

He has quite a bit of white on his chest and a white stripe on the back of his neck that is very interesting. I guess the AKC standard disapproves of too much white on a fawn boxer, but the AKC can kiss my ass, this is a great looking dog. Disqualifying a dog based on color seems rather racist, or (Mel) Gibsonesque. I won't get started on the AKC or Mel Gibson, but my opinion of both is equally low, Sarah Palin low.

The last dog on today's run was brought for me to meet without making a committment. She was surrendered to a shelter, mostly because she kept going over to neighbor's house to play with their kids and in their pool. She was said to be a German Shepherd, about 8 months old. She obviously hadn't traveled much and had barfed in her crate and was wet with drool. She was scared when we got her out and before I had much chance to meet her, the sky opened up into a downpour. She hopped into the crate in my van, pretty much making the decision for me, but I expect I would have taken her anyway.

I'm not sure if she's a mix or a different breed of shepherd. She's young, cute, sweet, petite, and said to be good with kids, dogs, and cats. She has a shorter, smoother coat and should shed less than most shepherds. With a bio like that, she shouldn't be too hard to place, whatever she is. Her name is Colby, don't ask me why, but since she was an owner surrender she presumably knows it, so I'll stick with it.

It was a good day, but a high mileage one. The van now has over 200,000 miles on it. It got new brakes a couple weeks ago and a new oxygen sensor that made the check engine light go away, at least for now.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Colby--with the smooth coat and tan legs--maybe a smidge of Dobie? Pretty girl, regardless.