Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shepherd Sunday

Saturday was kind of a bust. Zachary got us up too early and consequently I didn't feel great and didn't do squat all day except meet a transport in Charlottesville that brought me a new shepherd, Anastasia.

I knew nothing about her except that she had a rabies vaccine (and that information turned out to be inaccurate). She was an owner surrender from way, way down in southwest Virginia. She had been kept on a tie out, got no attention and not much food. In spite of that, she is a very nice, well-socialized girl. She went into the kennel adjacent to Teddy, Thor, Libby, and Trooper for the night. Believing that she did have a rabies vaccination, I took her to VGSR's adoption event in Gainesville on Sunday. She didn't really know me yet and she was very scared at the adoption event initially, but soon realized that people were there to pet her and feed her treats.

She was good with people, really seemed to like children, and was good with the other dogs. When we got back home I put her together with the other fosters. I'm not usually that keen on white shepherds, but I think she is really well put together, a great look and a great personality to boot. She deserves better than what she had, and I'm going to see that she gets it.

This was Trooper on the drive to Gainesville. He climbed on top of the wire crates that are behind the seats, laid on top of them, and rode with his head on my shoulder. He is the sweetest damn dog.

He was better at Sunday's event than the last one, but he still does his big bark at any stranger who looks directly at him. We worked with several volunteers again, and a couple of members of the public even. Reach your hand out to him, preferably with a treat, let him sniff, touch, check you out, and he's fine, but he's intimidated by the direct stare and he does his best to scare off what scares him.

I don't know what is going to become of him. I doubt that he will ever become trusting enough of strangers to live in a crowded area like northern Virginia, or to live with or around children below the age of discretion. But he's absolutely adorable. When we got home on Sunday, I put them all in the dogyard for playtime. Trooper got a bath and then moved indoors to my office. Molly needs some company up here.

The real star of Sunday's event among my three was probably Thor. He's great in a crowd of people, calmer and better behaved than he is here at home among just other dogs. I think he's put on some weight, but not as much as he should have for the amount of food I've been putting into him.

I've wormed that kennel again, but I think I'm going to take him to the vet for some blood work. I'm suspecting a digestive problem, and given that he's a shepherd that's not a wild guess.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like Trooper has already adopted you! I don't know if I would be able to let someone else have any of them. All good looking critters.

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

I love the 2 pictures on this post of you and Trooper. I agree, it looks like he has already adopted you.

mythreepups said...

I really like Trooper. What a great face he has.

And, your new white shepherd, Ana, is quite pretty.