Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weekend update


Friday was our vet visit.  Thor has not gained an ounce.  Two weeks of the enzyme powder hasn't made any difference so I'm guessing that exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) is not his problem.  I bought a big bottle of Panacure to worm all the dogs again.  While some or all of them may need it, I'm pretty certain that that is not the source of Thor's problem. 

The next thing to try on him is a trial with a grain free food.  Unfortunately, because we are going away next week the food trial will have to wait until we get back, unless I just board him separately and take along his food. 

Sparky loved going in the car but was disappointed that all we did was go to the vet.  We muzzled him for the blood draw, which immediately elicited some major growls.  For the vaccines and exam, I just held his head and he was much happier.  The vet was wondering how to go about administering the kennel cough vaccine.  It's a squirt of liquid into the nostrils that no dog likes.  I suggested that I do it instead of her, and she quickly agreed.  I squirted it in his nose and he didn't even react, confirming my belief that he would let me do anything to him, but no one else. 

Anastasia got adopted today.  They are excited to have her and I have a good feeling that it will work out well. She's a sweet girl and really just seems to want to belong to someone.   

My last CASPCA foster was the very shy rottie mix they called Dallas.  I called him Rowdy, and he's now called Bernie.  He's enrolled in an obedience class with his current "foster" home, and I've been told that he's not coming back.  He couldn't have landed in a better place, so I've very, very happy for them all. 

 I'm going to the VGSR adoption event in Gainesville tomorrow, but before that am taking the General to meet an interested applicant.  We are just doing the home visit and meeting their female boxer at this point.  I'm taking along Colby and Trooper as well, but leaving Thor at home until we put some weight on him.  Colby is going to another foster home for the week that Clay and I are gone. 

3 comments:

Shayna said...

They don't squirt the kennel cough up the nose here they give it in a shot. I'm sure the dogs would be glad if they knew the alternative. They also, this year, started the three year rabies. Less vet visits = less money out of my pocket.

BudsBuddy said...

So happy for Rowdy/Bernie! A family with time and love to share can work wonders with most dogs!

BudsBuddy said...

So happy for Rowdy/Bernie! A family with time and love to share can work wonders with most dogs!