Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chinese wrinkle dogs

I met my doggie dealer again yesterday and brought home two, 8 month old, shar-pei pups--Belle, the black female, and Beast, a very wrinkly brown male. When I told a friend last night that I had two new shar-peis, he said "Chinese wrinkle dogs?" That's exactly what they are and a great description for them.









Belle is a bit more reserved and not as quick to trust strangers, I think, but she's fine with me, not really shy or scared. The Beast is a big, wrinkly, love bug.

They were "leftovers" from a breeder, the last two to be sold, and they went to someone who really wasn't in a position to handle or maintain two pups. He gave them up to my southwest Virginia friend, who held them until I could take them. Belle went into heat for the first time so she had to separate them for a couple weeks. I will get them speutered next week.


It's my first experience with this breed. They are small, probably not more than 40 pounds yet, if that, but they aren't full grown yet either. I guess I need to get them some puppy food.

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

I remember a long time ago,maybe 20 years, Dr. Hagan was the only vet around here that knew anything about Sharpeis. I used to babysit 2.. oddly enough, a black one and a tan one. The black one was "Turbo" and the tan was "Rolls". They're really sweet dogs but have so many health problems, especially skin and ear. I'd love to see them...