Monday, August 30, 2010

A new twist on an old scam

We've all received the emails from the widow in Nigeria whose husband died leaving a forture in a U.S. bank that she needs help in accessing. There are a lot of variations on that theme, but the email below is the latest incarnation of that scam to arrive in my inbox:


I am Pastor Mark Collys, on a missionary journey in Europe, I came with my
yorkie puppy, unfortunately, after a while I noticed the weather here is not good
for the puppy's health. I have not been able to take proper care of her, like I
used to before my missionary work. I have now decided to give the puppy out on
adoption to someone that can give her a good home and take very good care of
her. The puppy is very loving and adorable puppy, She will be a good companion to any home. If you know you can take very good care of her do get back to me through my email address so i can provide you with the pictures and other details once i receive response from you. Counting heavily on your prompt response. Take care and God bless. Pastor Mark Collys
The scam artists are getting a bit more sophisticated with targeting their audience, and they must have found someone with at least a passing familiarity with the English language because this one has fewer glaring grammar errors than most. Apparently they think that the combination of religion and dog love makes for a soft-hearted and soft-headed mark, an easy touch. They may be right. I don't fall for the "I'm a good christian, you can trust me" shtick, in fact it immediately sets off my bullshit detector, but I am a sucker for a dog with a hard luck story.

I don't often give money to homeless people, but I must admit that I sometimes do if they have a dog with them. They know it works too, and I have the feeling that dogs are used for that purpose on more than one occasion. We were in London a couple years ago walking down a street one night after leaving a bar. We passed a homeless woman with a dog, sitting on the street collecting money, and doing pretty well too. I had been dogless for a week and had had a few drinks, so I was an easy touch. I've seen a young man in Charlottesville working the same routine lately. His dog sits patiently, bored, but happy to be with him. I once picked up a guy who was hitchhiking with a dog, again, because of the dog. I gave them a ride and gave the dog some Frontline.

I didn't do any adoption events this past weekend, but am happy to report that Daphne is working out in her new home with Stonewall.  She is very attached to and protective of her new person, and she is more than capable of holding her own with Stoney.  She just growls him off when he gets too much in her face and he is smart enough to back off.  The two of them have a huge backyard to play in and are sharing things indoors as well.  I will try to get some photos of the two of them together, but my camera is only working when it feels like it these days.

Other good rottweiler news:  Do you remember the scared and shy little rottie mix pup, Rowdy?  His name is now Bernie and we are about to make his adoption official.  He is growing up, went through an obedience class, and although he may never be the most sociable dog, he's much, much better than he was with me and he's found a home at suits his temperament well.   The pictures here are of Bernie.  He is a very lucky dog and it's so nice to see that smile on him. 

2 comments:

Susanne said...

I have Jackson Browne, Bernie's brother. He is special but in a great way. I may be the only one who will really understand this guys quirks, but he is a really doll. He is actually much more social than most of my dogs, which actually is not saying much. He has traveled all the way to Maine with me and did quite well. It is so nice to see that this litter of seven feral pups were all able to find homes. Thanks Brent for fostering and finding Rowdy such a great home.

BudsBuddy said...

I agree the scammers are getting more sophisticated. I got one recently that appeared to come from the chairman of the board of my employer. Something like, I'm on a business trip to London but my wallet was stolen and I need your help to buy a plane ticket home. I was almost taken for a second, before I thought, hey this guy is a millionaire and if he needed help he certainly wouldn't be contacting ME!