Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday shit

I took Belle, Teddy, Boomer, and Buster to the adoption event at CASPCA on Saturday.  Buster and Boomer had a good time and I might have made an indirect contact with someone who might be interested in Belle.  Boomer played ball and Buster did a television spot with the director of the shelter (I didn't see it and I'm not even sure which station it was on).  A lot of the staff remembered Buster and were glad to see him doing well and being happy, which he is. 

His only problem seems to be when he's surprised by someone or by something that he doesn't know.  So he needs exposure and socialization, but I don't think he's going to be a difficult or problematic dog.  He's certainly an easy foster.  He loves other dogs and loves to play. 


On Sunday I loaded up Belle and Boomer for the trip to Gainesville to VGSR's adoption event.  Boomer was great and met someone who is very interested in him.  I'm going to take him to the vet this week because he just doesn't seem to be putting on any weight and I'd like someone else's opinion on the alopecia (hair loss) on his belly.  The prior owner said something about unspecified "allergies."

Sunday was a hot, humid, miserable day.  I arrived about 11:00 a.m. and was planning to leave at 1:00 p.m., but really was ready to leave by noon.  I had to hang around, though, because someone was bringing me two new foster shepherds, Kane (left) and Sugar (right).  They are nice dogs, victims of neglect rather than abuse, and they are lucky to be getting a shot at a better home.  They came from Maryland and spent just enough time at Gaineville for these pictures to be taken before being loaded into my van for the trip home. 

I stopped for something cold to drink just outside Gainesville and when I returned to the van it was filled with the unmistakeable odor of dog shit.  One of both of them shit and barfed and they proceeded to wallow in it all the way home.  There was no way to stop and clean it up without risking losing the dogs, so I just opened a window and turned the AC up on high. 

They are settled into a kennel with Teddy for tonight.  They've been wormed, fed, and have new collars and tags.  I pulled the crates and mat out of the van and hosed everything down.  I came in, had a shower, and am about to fix a drink and go to bed. 

3 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

These are the long, tiring, messy hours of animal rescue that few are aware of. But Sugar and Kane look like beautiful dogs and when you find them both wonderful forever homes, you'll forget about all the shit and barf.

David Root said...

Ahhh, yes...barf in the vehicle. I remember taking Neiko to that Chesapeake location. He vomited on my on the way there. Not exactly a good way to get adopted I told him. I think he listened. Was a good boy the rest of the times we drove. (Do you have an update on him? I thought (almost) as highly of him as I did Kaiser. Good boy that Neiko!

Shayna said...

Shika barfed in the car for 6 months straight EVERY time we went somewhere! That was after I adopted her. Loved the waterproof seat covers from PetsMart.