Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First week back

We got back home late Sunday night. Monday morning we got all the dogs back home and I bathed the five household dogs. The undercoat is flying now, from Gypsy especially, but also from Cabell, Zachary, and even some from Molly and Bremo. I've re-entered the war on dog hair, even though it's one that I never win.

Tuesday. I can not remember what I did on Tuesday, except I tried to catch on my work from Monday, had a lot of computer problems, made arrangments for some incoming dogs, answered a lot of email and phone calls, and took Clay to the airport in Richmond.

Wednesday I took Thor to the vet to check his weight. He had actually put on a couple pounds since we'd been gone and he was eating the grain-free, duck and potato dog food. I think that will be the answer for him, or preferably, a raw food diet.

I also met a transport in Charlottesville and brought home a new rottie girl, Daphne. She's about 2 years old, rather petite, and as nice and sweet as can be. Seems that she lost her home in a divorce and ended up in a shelter down in Lexington. She's good with other dogs and spent the afternoon in the dogyard with Trooper. Then they both had baths and came inside. She is now sleeping soundly, and snoring heavily, in a crate in my office next to Trooper. She's looking a little sad, lost, and confused in these pics, taken shortly after we got home. I expect we'll see a smile on her face in a day or so. She is a nice, nice girl.

I also picked up a food supplement from the vet for Bremo. I may have mentioned it before, but we think he may have something called lupoid onchydystrophy. It's most obvious symptom is the splitting toenails that he has, but I noticed that his coat is rather dry and dull too. This stuff I picked up worked wonders on Rocky when he coat was in such bad shape, so I figured I'd try it on Bremo.

Then it was on to the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA to meet, and bring home, Buster. He's a tall, long-legged mutt. I would hesitate to identify any breed in that boy. He's young, a little insecure, and he will growl at strangers sometimes. It seems to occur mostly when someone appears that he wasn't expecting. At any rate, he didn't show well in the shelter and he's coming here as a foster for a while to see how he does. He is about the same age, speed, and intellectual level as Thor. I think they will have fun together and Trooper was very happy to get away from Thor and come back inside.

I also took Thor into the SPCA to meet cats. It was a great test cat. He swatted and hissed at Thor, who was confused and somewhat hurt by it all. No sign of aggression, Thor turned just turned away and wasn't too interested in meeting other cats after that. He might be smarter than I give him credit for.

Thursday I'm taking in a new shepherd from someone who lost his home and business. Bad situation, but it sounds like a great dog. I also have a doctor's appointment and a dinner scheduled with Clay's mother. Somehow I need to work in some work time too. There's another new shepherd at the Louisa shelter that I'll probably meet and bring home on Friday.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Welcome home...What happened with the sandpaper dogs you mentioned...the shar peis?

Brent said...

The only dog I was planning on taking this week was the rottie. The two incoming shepherds and Buster just sort of happened. Therefore, I'm delaying the shar peis as long as I can, maybe Saturday, hopefully the following week. They are safe where they are.

Shayna said...

Rocky's coat is nice and shiny now. He eats the Taste of the Wild Salmon flavor. And, according to some friends who saw him when I brought him home and hadn't seen him until last weekend, has filled out! I was asked if he was the same dog.