Monday, September 5, 2011

And then there were nine

Duchess (left) and Candy (right)
Big dogs in small packages
As of last night we had only nine dogs, our own six and just three fosters. I realize that seems like a lot of dogs to most people, but it feels practically desserted around here. Four more dogs moved out yesterday to at least temporary foster homes.

Candy went to the home of the adopters of former foster Duchess.  The two dogs are about the same size and both are very cute.  They will need a few days to work out the terms of their new relationship, and Candy has a lot of learn about a lot of things, but I have every reason to believe this will translate into a permanent adoption, not just a temporary foster arrangement.
 
Ryland after his bath
My boy Ryland went home with folks who have adopted three of their four current dogs from me, so you can safely assume that I think very highly of them.  Ryland's stay with them started out with a bath, which he wasn't crazy about, but it's a small price to pay for a comfy place to stay for the next couple of weeks. 

I'm growing more and more fond of Ryland.  He's the only foster dog that has bedroom privileges in our house.  The fact that I'm getting attached means that he's going to need to go to a really good home.  Amazingly, I had an email inquiring about Ryland this evening.  It sounds good too, so he may have a prospect when he gets back here after our vacation.  The Vegetarian Festival is the Saturday after we return too, and that has sometimes netted some very good animal friendly adopters. 

Riddle went to a foster home, the same one who took that long haired shepherd I pulled from Nelson County a few weeks ago.  She does a lot of home visits and case working for VGSR adopters, so I'm confident that she will find him an adopter.  I didn't ever put Riddle on the website because I knew I didn't have time to handle all the inquiries he would generate. 

He enjoyed a bullystick on the drive home and later just laid down and napped. 

Thora also went to another foster home.  Her foster came to my place and picked her up.  They stopped at a river for a swim on the way home and sent a pic to my cell phone, but I have never figured out how to get a cell phone picture onto the computer.  So, this is a file photo of Thora.  She's looking better and feeling better.  Her skin is back to normal, no longer red and inflamed and she's not itchy.  She is putting on weight nicely.  When I get back from vacation I'll get her spayed and then get to work on finding her an adopter. 

Today and tomorrow are all about making lists and crossing items off the list as we get ready to go.   The dogs are now down to a manageable number and that takes a huge load off my mind.  The housesitter still has enough shepherds and rottweilers around here to keep the deer and rabbits at bay. 

I will trying blogging from England but Facebook may be easier to update, we will see. 

3 comments:

Living the life in The Little City said...

Ryland is a handsome fellow. Glad he's doing well.

BudsBuddy said...

Have a great trip!

Britta said...

Have a great time.