Sunday, September 18, 2011

Beer and rugby









This is a pub called The George. Clay and I stopped in here for a pint the other day. It was one of the early stops on our self-guided pub crawl up Fleet Street. We rented a WiFi device for this trip that gives us portable Internet access. Using that and a pub finder app on Clay's iPod, we made our way through six historic pubs that afternoon. That day gave us a leg up on my goal of hitting an average of three different pubs each day, a goal we have maintained and perhaps exceeded.

I was back at The George this morning before 7:00 a.m. for beer and rugby. Clay had enough sense to stay in bed this morning although he had joined me for morning beer and rugby in an Aussie bar one day last week. The 2011 Rugby World Cup is on right now but it is being held in New Zealand so the games are being televised here at early morning hours.

We had discovered rugby on trips here in prior years but we've taken in more of it this time. I had a wake up call at 6:30, rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth and made it to the pub by 7:00. England beat Georgia and I had four pints of beer by 9:00 a.m. Drinking beer in the morning while watching sports is as close to being a straight man as I ever care to be.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: