Friday, September 23, 2011

Carrying on

I took Thursday and Friday off this week assuming that I'd need that much time to get myself together again after vacation.  I'm glad I did.  Thursday was all about Gypsy, my sleep schedule isn't back to normal yet, and today (Friday), was a dreary rainy day.  To add to the gloom, our power went out and stayed out, long enough to get me out of the house.  I went grocery shopping in Charlottesville, picked up Gypsy's cremains, and then headed down to Nelson County to bring home this guy.  I'm calling him Timber. 

He is young, not much over a year, and big, close to 90 pounds.  He came from the Nelson County shelter, but was pulled by the Almost Home group down there to avoid euthanization.  They were full too, of course, but boarded him at a vet's office for a few days until I got home.  He tested negative for heartworm but positive for Lyme, or maybe it was erlichia, same doxycycline regimen in any event.   He seems like a nice guy, very friendly.  Thora is the only dog he's met so far, but he was fine with her.  He's not neutered yet and she's not spayed, but that will be taken care of on Monday.  I have a spay/neuter appointments for Thora and Bo on Monday at CASPCA, but I may slip in Timber in place of Bo and get him done later next week. 

Ryland and Luke will be coming back from their temporary foster homes this weekend, and I'm dog sitting two former fosters (Teddy and Cooper) next week, so things will be filling up again around here. Saturday is the Vegetarian Festival in Charlottesville, which has often been a good adoption event.  I'm hoping the rain will be moved out of here so it will be a nice, dry day.  I'm planning to take Ryland (who has been renamed "Pete"), and Gypsy Jr. and would love to place either or both of them.  Sunday will be a VGSR event in Gainesville, with Thora, Timber (maybe) and Luke, and maybe one other. 

Even with 5 dogs in the house still, Gypsy's absence is keenly felt.  Much of our patten and routine around here was based on her.  The other dogs aren't sure if they are now free to move about the house at will or if they should still keep to their established zones.  I expect it will take a while for everyone to adjust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Timber is a big handsome boy. Bet you won't have him very long