Thursday, September 1, 2011

On a roll

A couple weeks ago I had a dozen fosters.  Right now I'm at eight.  Thora and Riddle are going to temporary foster homes.  I expect Riddle to be adopted before I return.  I probably could have placed him myself but I never put him on the website.  We are meeting Schatze's adopter on Saturday.  I sent out a foster plea for Candy and had a couple responses, but one was from a former adopter and they are interested in Candy as a new addition to their family.  We are working out the arrangements for a meeting this weekend. 

That leaves me with just four fosters--the two rotties, Sparky and Bo, plus Gyspy Jr. and Ryland. 

I can't really place Sparky with anyone who doesn't know rotties and doesn't know him.  Bo is recovering from heartworm treatment is doing fine, but kennelling him is probably best for him in order to restrict his activity.  That leaves Gypsy Jr. and Ryland.  Since I've had so much luck farming out the others in advance of this trip, I figured I'd take a shot on these two as well. 




Gypsy Jr. (I only use the "Jr." around here out of respect for my old girl, Gypsy), is a mutt.  She's probably part lab and parts of many other things.  The mix came out looking like an Anatolian Shepherd in terms of marking and coloring, but I don't really have any reason to believe that's what she is.  She's a mutt and she's a pup.  She's wild, unruly, and untrained.  She is sweet, but she's also very full of herself and bossy with other dogs, and food aggressive at feeding time.  That's not a problem with me, and I can make her sit and wait for a signal before going for her food, and I can take food away from her, but she will try to steal other dogs' food.  She doesn't try for Sparky's food anymore, however, and I owe him for teaching her that. 

I had her at an adoption event last weekend and she enjoyed it and was good with everyone, human and canine.  I can not imagine that she would be cat-friendly. 

Basically she's a pup and she's a project.  She will grow into a fine dog with proper care and (firm) handling. 

And then there's Ry.  He's got this "just let me do what I want and we will get along fine" attitude that really reminds me of a rottweiler.  Ryland is really low maintenance, laid back.  He will crate, or he will camp out on a dog bed.  I'm pretty sure he'd love a spot on a sofa.  Just don't expect him to come when called, to chase a ball, or do other silly "dog" things. 

1 comment:

Living the life in The Little City said...

She does look like an Anatolian or Anatolian mix. How big is she?