Saturday, September 15, 2012

Walking in the land of giants

The picture isn't great but it show a chalk figure of a giant etched into a hillside in Dorset. There isn't a lot known about its origins so I don't have much to say about it. There are other chalk figures of ancient origin that we will see in a few days.




Today was a busy day. We found a not-so-small hoard of pewter at an outdoor antique fair. Then we visited Glastonbury Tor and I climbed it. Then it was a visit to the giant and on to Dorchester, the home of the literary giant, Thomas Hardy. Dorchester is Hardy's Casterbridge and we are spending the night at The King's Arms Hotel, which Hardy wrote about in "The Mayor of Casterbridge". Hardy is, to me, the greatest master of the English language, ever. To him I attribute my love of the language and all things English, so this is holy ground.

Having a great time and I've even learned to like cask ale beers, barely chilled.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Dorchester, England

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way too cool. Glad that you are having a good time. I'm fond of Hardy also.