Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A couple of quickies

I didn't get much work done on Monday so I've been trying to make up for it the last couple of days.  Still, I got in a quick (3 mile/45 minute) walk in the woods with Max.

He is so good on our walks.  Partly it's the fact that we are alone in the woods, plus the fact that he has the leash, the trail, and me to guide him.  He doesn't pull as much as Sparky so I get no help on the hills from him.  Sparky has mastered the quick sniff and move on routine.  Max wants to stop and examine everything that smells in detail.  I found that I was actually pulling him to keep him moving along.

I do think he'll make someone a fine dog if he's the only dog and someone walks or runs with him religiously.  Exercise and activity will not be an option, it will be mandatory.  I may ask the eventual adopter to take an oath:  "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night shall stay this dog owner from the swift completion of a daily three mile run."

"I do not need a bath, I do not want a bath."
Look at all the fur on him now!
"Ok, make it quick."
After I finished work Wednesday evening I also gave Patch a quick bath. He's wise to the bath routine now and I had to drag him to the tub and hoist him in, but once he was in and wet he was really pretty good about it.  We have a final vet visit tomorrow to check his progress and consult with the vet about next steps.

I'm really pleased with how far he's come.  He's got enough hair now that he even left some in the bathtub, which he didn't do in the beginning.  He will have a beautiful coat in a few more months.

I said "final vet visit" because Patch will be going to his new home on Friday afternoon.  He's ready.  He no longer looks and acts like a lost dog around here. He is ready for a new life so it's time to get him settled in a new home.  I couldn't be happier about where he's going.
He looks better and better after each bath.







1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Very happy to hear that these two tough cases have hopeful futures. Can't wait to see some future photos of Patch when he is bright-eyed, filled out, and gleaming!