Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cold day, hike and play

It felt like winter today and apparently there were a few snow flurries around, although I managed to miss them.  This is great hiking weather though; Sparky and I did not miss that. 

We are doing a mile in about 17.5 minutes, which is moving along at a pretty good pace.  I let Sparky set the pace.  He can go as fast as he can drag me along.  He thinks we should do a 15 minute mile, but I told him he should enjoy the sights and smells and not watch the clock.  That got us into a long discussion about the need to pee and poop in the woods and check for every other dog who has done the same. 

Until I can set the pace, he tends to win all of those discussions. 

 It was a great day on the trails.  Because it was cloudy, cold, and windy, we had them all to ourselves.  I have a new app for my phone called "Map My Walk."  It uses the GPS in the phone and actually creates a map as you walk.  It also has a "coaching" feature, which consists of a voice that tells you when you've completed each mile.  I had to turn that feature off today because Sparky heard the disembodied female voice and had to stop and look around to find its source.  It's pretty cool though, it tells you the distance and time that you've walked, how many calories you've burned, and your speed, in both miles per hour and minutes per mile. 
Ochie

Ochie and Maya
Maya talking to me
The cold weather makes the dogs really active outdoors.  Ochie was born for this kind of weather and he's as happy as can be.  I looked out the upstairs window this morning and saw five dogs on Playstation K9 all having a good time.

After Sparky and I got back home I did poop patrol in the dog yard and got a few pictures of the fosters, plus Maya, having a good time.  The best thing I saw today though was Max actually engaging in normal play behavior with the other dogs.  He's still a bit socially awkward, but he was trying, and Maya was encouraging him.  He's still a bit crazy, particularly at feeding times when everyone is excited, barking, and jumping around, but he's probably 75% better than he was.  I don't care what anyone says, Prozac has worked wonders on that dog and has probably saved his life.  



Anna and Franklin
Franklin and Maya























Max with his ball

No comments: