Thursday, November 7, 2013

Zachary update

I visited Zach again today at VRCC in Richmond.  He was more animated, he tried to get up, he did sit up using his front legs but he still has no use of the rear legs.  He was happy to see me and he wanted to come with me, but he settled down quickly enough when I left.  I met the neurologist face to face (she wasn't in the night we came in and we've only talk by phone since then).  His condition, his recent history, and his xrays all point to having an infection in one of his lumbar vertebrae.  Although he improved after each round of oral antibiotics, it wasn't enough to actually wipe out the infection so it returned.

He's still on IV antibiotics but will switch to oral tomorrow and I plan to bring him home tomorrow. We'll care for him at home over the weekend and see if there is any improvement in his condition by Monday.

Obviously when there's a sick dog that one's needs become the immediate priority, but there's still a dozen others for the regular daily routine.  They aren't getting the recreation and exercise time I like for them to have, but everyone's getting by.  Toquima went back home today and I had planned to move Anna indoors when he did, but I think that's going to wait for now until we get Zach sorted out.  I'm still waiting on the results of the blood work on her anyway.  Patch is doing really well now and is acting like a member of the household.  He's still on medication and will be for a while, but he really could move to another home at this point, foster or permanent.  I think his staples will need to come out next week and I'll be glad when I can bathe him again because he's still rather yeasty smelling. There's an adoption event in Gainesville on Sunday, but whether I go or not is still up in the air, depending on how it goes with taking care of Zach at home this weekend.

It's telling that most of the pictures I've found of Zachary on my computer are pictures of him from vet visits.  This dog has had a lot of them. Fortunately, he's probably the easiest dog we've ever had when it comes to performing any kind of treatment on him.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of hugs and good wishes for Zachary. I hope this weekend proves to bea healing one.