Friday, November 22, 2013

Lily, a short term foster

Several weeks ago I posted pics of a young female shepherd named Lily.  With everything going on around here, I flat out forgot about her.  She was still with the owner and was safe but they were still wanting to re-home her.  The foster mom who will be taking her actually reminded me about her and fortunately her home was becoming open for a foster this weekend.  I had Friday off from work, so I contacted the owner and arranged to pick Lily up Friday morning.

We went directly to the vet because her vaccines were due and she has skin issues that need to be addressed.  The owner reports that this was a long term problem, presumably allergies, but that she was doing better with a switch to Taste of the Wild food.  Previously they had been cooking hamburger and rice for the dog and she was scratching a lot when I first met her.  She looked better today but you can smell the yeast on her and see the hair loss and red skin.  The vet cleaned out her ears thoroughly and gave me an antibiotic and a prescription for an anti-fungal medication that I got filled at a pharmacy today. 


There's nothing wrong with her foot or leg,
it's just an awkward moment caught on camera.
We came home and she met the other dogs without any difficulty, even without proper introductions.  Anna was actually a little protective and jealous of me and didn't like Lily getting too close, but they are fine when I'm not around.

Max, left, and Lily, right
Both love to chase a ball.
I'm meeting Lily's new foster mom on Saturday morning up in Culpeper.  She has taken fosters from me in the past and is one that I trust.  She's the foster who took on Bastian (who had horrible skin and allergies) and got him adopted to a great home.  Lily's condition isn't nearly as severe as Bastian's was.


Lily leading Max, Maya behind
Anna looking at me
Lily is a great dog, just a year and a half old, housetrained, crate-trained, kid-friendly, and she even seemed ok with cats at the vet's office today.  She knows sit, down, and stay commands, and actually does them.  She loves to fetch a ball or a Frisbee.  She's quite well trained but the former owners have small children, a busy work schedule, and no time or interest left over for a dog. She's really going to be a great dog for someone but it will require someone who is willing and able to manage the allergy condition, whether it be food, environmental, or both.  This foster mom hit the jackpot when she placed Bastian, I hope she can do so again. 

Anna rode along today so I could weigh her.  She had only gained one pound and I hadn't lost any.









No comments: