Friday, November 1, 2013

Visitors

Bella is aptly named, she's a beautiful girl.
Friday was another day off for me, but once again, I didn't do much.  That's ok, I guess.  I did do a few outdoor projects, and we had a couple of human and canine visitors in the afternoon.
Toquima meeting Bella

Coby had stopped by before when Patch and Anna were delivered.  He came again to meet part of the pack and Bella came along as well.  Both dogs did very well and enjoyed themselves.

We started out with the most rock solid pack member, not one of our own but the visiting Toquima.  That dog is worth his weight in gold.  When a dog makes a move on him that could be provocative, he doesn't escalate the tension or aggression, he de-escalates it instead.  His body language and responses say, "come on, let's play instead of fight."

Coby jumping onto the platform,
Toquima behind
Bella enjoying a run in the pasture.
After meeting Toquima we introduced Anna, and then Ochie.  After some dog yard time the five of them moved on out to the pasture for a really good romp.






The lovely Anna
More Anna



Bella and Ochie on one of the paths
through the tall grass
A meeting of the shepherd minds.
Toquima, Bella, and Coby




Not long after Bella and Cody left I got a call about a Great Dane found wandering on the road not far from me.  Gigi was standing in front of me when I took the call so I knew it wasn't her, but I jumped in the van and headed off to see if I could find the dog.  Someone had already found the dog and was holding him when I showed up.  He wasn't eager to get into the van but I convinced him and then delivered him to a safe place.  He's been reported as a found dog.  He had a rabies tag only.  The vet was called and gave the owner's contact info but the primary phone number was disconnected.  He's a beautiful Dane and obviously well loved and cared for, except for the fact that he hasn't been neutered.

[I just learned that Prince the Dane was reunited with his owners this evening.]









Friday evening Clay and I went to James River Brewery, but we stopped on the way to meet a 7 month old shepherd that the owner is wanting to surrender.  The dog has a condition known as megaesophagus, but it seems to be a relatively mild version and he's an adorable dog.  Mega-E is an enlarged esophagus which makes it difficult for the dog to keep its food down.  They often vomit which makes it difficult for them to gain weight, grow, and thrive.  All too often end up with aspiration pneumonia as a result of the regurgitation.

Maya assisted with meeting the pup to verify that he was good with other dogs.  A rescue group dealing with Mega-E is interested in taking him on.  I may assist with transport in a couple of days.

We proceeded on to the brewery in Scottsville, ordered a pizza, and had a couple beers before returning home.








No comments: