Sunday, December 22, 2013

Richmond

He loved having the space to move around in the dog yard.
He checked it out thoroughly and left plenty of marks.
The day I left for Ireland I had been planning to drive up to Orange to pull a shepherd named Richmond from the shelter.  I put that off until today because I couldn't leave Clay with a new dog not knowing how he would fit in with the others.

He was sort of a "to rescue only" dog it seems, because he was stressed in the shelter, was not good with small dogs, and is just too big, strong, and untrained for a casual adopter.  He managed to both shit and barf on the way home, soiling both crates in the back of my van.  He doesn't travel well at this point but that's just stress from being taken by a stranger to a new place.  He's said to be four years old and he's been neutered and vaccinated.
Meeting Trooper

Once we got home I put him in the dog yard and started introductions.  We started with Trooper because Trooper is really good with new dogs and the two were fine together.  Richmond looks a lot like Trooper, same coloring and markings, except that Richmond's ears are fully erect.
Meeting Ochie

Meeting Max
After Trooper, I introduced Ochie and those two were fine.  Ochie just wanted to play and Richmond both wanted and needed to do so.  I added Max to the mix without any problems.  Maya was inside so she hasn't met him yet but she made her presence and her opinion known through the open upstairs window.  I don't anticipate any problem there.

Max's prozac ran out while I was away and he has reverted to a heightened level of neurotic behavior. I'll get him to see a vet on Monday and get him back on it asap.  He will have to be on it permanently, I expect.  I'm not sure yet what his adoption prospects will be.

Richmond is a great looking dog and he seems nice but I obviously don't know much of anything about him at this point.









Trooper and Richmond
Ochie and Trooper

He seems very happy to be out of the shelter.  He's a great looking dog.




No comments: